- The town I live in has a railway track running through it. Loco Motive is based on that track.
- What it would be like to race that train to the crossing and get across the track before the train arrived?
- The idea developed further into the 'Motive' the car would be racing the 'Loco' - a bank heist!
- The game will be free to download for mobile devices when published and have in-app purchases.
BEHIND THE CURTAIN
- I started with Unity primitives to determine the best mechanic. Should the player move or the surroundings?
- Originally the track was procedurally generated, but it introduced technical complications.
- The decision was made to hand-craft each of the tracks. 1 heist, 1 track and 1 race per level.
- Something was required to prevent the player going too fast - the engine would overheat!
- Something was required to prevent the player going too slow - the chasing Police!
- No ads will be used with optional in-app purchases, so download and play for free when published.
- In-app purchases will only be used for improvements (e.g. additional cars or accessories).
- The game will always be free to download.
- May add a colour-picker control so the players car can be ANY colour.
- Initial platforms will be Android and iOS.